Living in the US – Sibling of a Citizen

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Living in the US – Sibling of a Citizen

Living in the US – Sibling of a Citizen

Receiving permanent residency status is not only reserved for those who have entered the country with work visas. In fact, among those who are eligible to become potential applicants includes the siblings of US citizens. Family immigration to the US is done through a preference system, with those higher on the list more likely to receive the permanent residency (green card). The last preference, but still a viable one, is reserved for the siblings of US citizens.

Living in the US – Sibling of a CitizenPetition Processing

Unfortunately, siblings have the longest wait times for petition processing. Given that they are the lowest preference, there are fewer visas available for them each fiscal year. Even though it will take a while, the process is not a tremendously intricate one. The US citizen will have to file Form I-130 for their sibling. The definitions of a sibling, in this case, is not limited to blood-related family members. A sibling can include those who share one (or more) parent(s). If filling out the form poses a challenge, applicants are encouraged to seek the help of an experienced immigration attorney.

Once the form has been submitted, a long period of time may pass. However, soon after filing you will receive a confirmation of application as well as a number, which allows you to track the processing time. Other eligibility criteria may apply, or the US citizenship office may require more documents. One important note is that the sibling that is a US citizen and filing the petition must be at least 21 years old. While siblings fall in the fourth, and last, preference category, the first three include other family members like spouses and unmarried children. US citizens who are thinking about sponsoring their family members can consult an attorney if they have questions regarding applying and processing times.

You might also read
K-1 Visa – A Brief Guideline and FAQs
K-1 Visa – A Brief Guideline and FAQs

K-1 visa is also known as a fiancé(e) visa. This visa allows a US citizen’s fiancé(e) to get a 90-days stay permit in the US and get married to a US citizen. Because this visa is issued so that the US citizen and their fiancé(e) can come into a marital relationship, not solemnizing a marriage within 90 days can end the fiancé(e) privilege to stay in the US, and they have to leave the US.

How to Expedite Your Family Visa Interview at the U.S. embassy (2021)
How to Expedite Your Family Visa Interview at the U.S. embassy (2021)

Immigrants applying for visas at U.S. Consulates and Embassies worldwide face additional hurdles due to the Coronavirus epidemic. In some places, things have only slightly improved, while in others, they have deteriorated. As a result, the majority of U.S. embassies and consulates have remained closed to the public. Only a few Consular offices and embassies have started visa interview scheduling. In the great majority of cases, offices and embassies only schedule interviews and issue visas to individuals who need them urgently or who qualify for expedited visa processing. Immigrant visas are no different from others, and they are also suffering from delays in the processing and interviews. This article will examine how an individual can expedite a U.S. embassy interview for a family visa.

Divorce After Getting a Conditional Green Card
Divorce After Getting a Conditional Green Card 2021

Whether you will get a conditional green card before legal permanent residence status depends on the period of your marriage; if your marriage is less than two years, USCIS will give you 2 years Conditional green card. This will allow you to remain and work in the US for a period of two years. As the name suggests, this card is issued on condition to prove the bonafide nature of the marriage.

Let us work on your case

Or simply fill out the form and one of our attorneys will get back to you pretty shortly.

Sethi Footer

We're Here

To Assist You

Subscribe to Sethi & Mazaheri’s monthly newsletter and receive important immigration-related  updates.

Skip to content