Family Unification: Immediate Relative versus Family Preference

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Family Unification: Immediate Relative versus Family Preference

Family Unification: Immediate Relative versus Family Preference

Making up a major component of the immigration system in the US, family unification allows for US citizens and permanent residents to petition for their family members to come live in the US. There are two different types of petitions for family-based immigration: Immediate Relative and Family Preference. While this article will provide a brief overview, the experienced and dedicated lawyers at Sethi & Mazaheri can provide tailored advice for each immigration case.

Family Unification: Immediate Relative versus Family PreferenceThe crucial differences

Before starting a petition, it is important to know the difference between the two categories of family-based visas. These differences are crucial as they determine who can apply for the petition, but also which individuals can receive a visa. First, an Immediate Relative visa is available for a petition by a US citizen only. Those who are permanent residents cannot petition for a visa for their family member under this classification. The Immediate Relative classification is open to a citizen’s spouse, child (unmarried and under 21), parent (if the citizen is over 21), and any adopted children. Important to note: there is not a limit on the number of Immediate Relative visas granted and, as such, the visa does not have a waiting period.

Family Preference visa is open for a petition by both US citizens and permanent residents

The second classification for family-based immigration is Family Preference. This type of visa is open for a petition by both US citizens and permanent residents. However, the visa does have a lengthy waiting period and is granted according to a set of preferences. The preferences, from one to four, are adult children of citizens; a permanent resident’s spouse, children below the age of 18, and unmarried children over 21; married children of a citizen; siblings of a citizen. Some individuals can qualify under both the Immediate Relative classification as well as the Family Preference. In order to analyze and choose the best immigration option for the petition, discuss your case with an experienced immigration attorney.

You might also read
K-1 Visa – A Brief Guideline and FAQs
K-1 Visa – A Brief Guideline and FAQs

K-1 visa is also known as a fiancé(e) visa. This visa allows a US citizen’s fiancé(e) to get a 90-days stay permit in the US and get married to a US citizen. Because this visa is issued so that the US citizen and their fiancé(e) can come into a marital relationship, not solemnizing a marriage within 90 days can end the fiancé(e) privilege to stay in the US, and they have to leave the US.

How to Expedite Your Family Visa Interview at the U.S. embassy (2021)
How to Expedite Your Family Visa Interview at the U.S. embassy (2021)

Immigrants applying for visas at U.S. Consulates and Embassies worldwide face additional hurdles due to the Coronavirus epidemic. In some places, things have only slightly improved, while in others, they have deteriorated. As a result, the majority of U.S. embassies and consulates have remained closed to the public. Only a few Consular offices and embassies have started visa interview scheduling. In the great majority of cases, offices and embassies only schedule interviews and issue visas to individuals who need them urgently or who qualify for expedited visa processing. Immigrant visas are no different from others, and they are also suffering from delays in the processing and interviews. This article will examine how an individual can expedite a U.S. embassy interview for a family visa.

Can Divorce Influence Your Immigration Status With a United States Citizen Marriage?

Divorce is not a rare thing in this century. It hits you strongly, whether mentally or emotionally. And what makes it worse is knowing that it can have a drastic impact on your green card process and can even possibly end in getting you deported from the US. This article will analyze the scenario of divorce (or separation) during the green card process obtained through marriage with a USC and how it can influence your chances of getting a green card in the US.

Let us work on your case

Or simply fill out the form and one of our attorneys will get back to you pretty shortly.

Sethi Footer
We're Here
To Assist You

Subscribe to Sethi & Mazaheri’s monthly newsletter and receive important immigration-related  updates.

Skip to content