O-1B: Visa for Artists

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
O-1B Visa for Artists


In the United States’ Immigration system, one type of visa catered for foreign artists, the O-Visa, specifically, the O-1B Visa. If you are an artist of any kind and want to gain legal status in the U.S. with an artist visa, this blog is helpful to elucidate the qualifications for O-Visa and the application process.

Who can be qualified for O-1B Visa?

According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), O-1B Visa is for “individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry.” Therefore, to prove one’s extraordinary ability, one should be obtaining national or international acclaim and would be able to work in the United States to continue developing one’s ability in that field. For artists, their abilities are indicated through a degree of skill and recognition as “renowned, leading, or well-known” in the field of arts or television/motion pictures.

O-Visa for Artists
O-Visa for Artists

What are the documents needed to apply for O-1B Visa?

To apply for an O-1B Visa, one needs to submit the I-129 form (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) along with supporting materials demonstrating their extraordinary ability. Among all the supporting evidence, consultation is one of the most important documents, which is an advisory opinion written by a peer group (including a labor organization) or a person with great expertise in the arts/motion pictures area. Watermarks are preferred to indicate the authenticity of the artwork and opinions. Another crucial document is the written or oral contract between the petitioner and the beneficiary, indicating what was offered by the employer and what was accepted by the employee. In terms of the artist/filmmaker agents, there will be three circumstances: U.S. Agent, Agent for Multiple Employers, Agent Performing the Function of an Employer, and Agent for Foreign Employers, each entailing a different set of supporting documents.

Since 2011, Sethi & Mazaheri has been able to help our clients obtain hundreds of artist visas and achieve their dreams of performing their arts in the United States. From photographers to illustrators to filmmakers, a diverse group of artists has been offered assistance from our legal team. For more information, please contact us.

Read More:

You might also read
Visa Options for Artists
Visa Options for Artists

Artists and performers from all over the world have long been drawn to the United States. From rookie artists to renowned professionals globally, all are eager to show off their stellar abilities.

P Visa Classification
P Visa Classification (P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4)

The P visa is a temporary employment-based visa granted to foreign athletes, artists, entertainers, coaches, supporting staff, and their spouses and children to travel to the United States. The P visa is classified into P-1, P-2, P-3, and P-4 categories. This article will provide a brief about all the P visa classification.

O-1 Visa Interview Experience and Appointment
O-1: Visa Interview Experience and Appointment

Are you a person possessing extraordinary abilities and have applied to enter the US on an O-1 visa? You must know that after USCIS has approved your visa application, you have to appear for a visa interview at the US embassy or consulate in most cases. This article will provide an insight into the O-1 visa interview and the common questions asked at the interview.

Let us work on your case

Or simply fill out the form and one of our attorneys will get back to you pretty shortly.

Sethi Footer

We're Here

To Assist You

Subscribe to Sethi & Mazaheri’s monthly newsletter and receive important immigration-related  updates.

Skip to content