U Visa

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
U Visa

U Visa

Unfortunately, there are cases of non-immigrants or non-US citizens, while in the US, becoming victims of mental or physical abuse. In 2000, Congress passed the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act, which allows for the granting of a U non-immigrant visa to the victims as mentioned above of crime who in return cooperate with law enforcement in the investigation. Given the sensitive nature and complexity of cases, a summary in this article does not suffice as legal advice. Victims of crimes should speak with an experienced attorney to understand their rights and see if they can apply for the U visa.

U non-immigrant visaThe visa is seen as an effort to protect victims of crime and aid law enforcement with criminal investigations. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services provides a thorough outline of the crimes that qualify for the granting of a U visa to a victim, and they include acts like rape, trafficking, torture, abduction, murder, female genital mutilation, and involuntary servitude. Those applying for the U visa must have been the victims of one of the qualifying crimes, suffered abuse because of the crime, resided in the US when the crime occurred, and are helpful to law enforcement and have information regarding the crime.

Application process

The application for the U visa can be extensive. It involves filling out Forms I-918 Petition for U Non-Immigrant Status and Supplement B, which provides proof of your cooperation with the criminal case. Furthermore, the victim must submit a personal statement. This statement allows the victim to present their experience of substantial physical or mental abuse while in the US. The filing of other forms may be necessary to meet applicable requirements. Once granted, the U visa is valid for four years; however, an extension to the visa is possible if certain special conditions are met, such as still being needed for the criminal investigation. Those who receive the U visa, if they meet all requirements, can apply and obtain permanent resident status in the US as well.

You might also read
High Salary or Other Significantly High Remuneration
EB-1: High Salary or Other Significantly High Remuneration

If you think you have extraordinary skills, you must have thought of earning more than others in your field. Skills are directly related to your income, and USCIS considers this and will label your ability as “extraordinary” if your income is comparatively higher than others in your field. Sethi and Mazaheri Law firm brings you another article on the EB-1 series where we explain the ten criteria laid down by the USCIS for establishing your extraordinary ability. 

Let us work on your case

Or simply fill out the form and one of our attorneys will get back to you pretty shortly.

Sethi Footer
We're Here
To Assist You

Subscribe to Sethi & Mazaheri’s monthly newsletter and receive important immigration-related  updates.

Skip to content