B-1/B-2 VISA

You might have to travel to the US to attend a business meeting or negotiate a contract in the US or might just want to enjoy the scenic beauty of the US. You can apply for temporary visits for specific business or tourism activities through B Visas.

What is a B-1 Visa?

A B-1 Visa is issued to aliens who plan to travel to the US for business activities. You must prove that you will engage in business activity that is of commercial or professional nature.

What is a B-2 Visa? 

You should apply for a B-2 visa if you plan to visit the United States for tourism and pleasure purposes. 

For what period are B-1 and B-2 visas issued? 

B-1 and B-2 visas are  non-immigrant visas and are issued for a temporary period. Once you get your B-1 and B-2 visas approved, you are allowed to remain in the US for no more than six months.

What are the eligibility criteria for a B-1/B-2 Visa? 

To become eligible for a B-1/B-2 Visa, you must demonstrate that the nature of travel is either business or tourism. USCIS officers will also check your capability to fund yourself for the trip to the US. 

What is ESTA? Should I go for a B Visa or ESTA? 

The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of certain countries (that are exempted under the program) to travel to the US for tourism or business purposes for a period of 90 days. The citizens of these countries do not require a visa to travel if they fulfill the criteria of the Visa Waiver program. 

B-1 and B-2 visas are both issued for temporary purposes for business and tourism. You should bear in mind that there are no employment opportunities under this visa category. You have to apply to other categories if you would like to work in the US.