Process of Applying for a Green Card for My Spouse 

While Living Abroad

Many U.S. citizens marry their life partners who are foreign nationals. They want them to obtain U.S. green cards to enjoy the benefits of being green cardholders. 

Some spouses are too busy in their work-life, family life, or other kinds of stuff that they cannot travel to the U.S. for their green card process. If you think this might be your case, do not worry about your spouse’s green card, USCIS allows your spouse to apply for a green card from outside the U.S. 

If your foreign spouse is seeking a green card from outside the United States, you can apply through consular processing.  

What is the process of applying for a green card for my spouse while living abroad?

Firstly, you have to file a Family Based green card petition on Form I-130 along with all the necessary documents. You can do this by submitting the petition online or by mailing the form to the USCIS. 

The consular procedure begins once the USCIS has accepted the immigrant’s petition and the NVC has approved the immigrant visa. The NVC will transfer your case to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.  The first step for consular processing is to submit all the required documents, followed by the necessary medical tests of the applicant, and then end by giving the interview.

You can apply and get a green card for your spouse even if they live outside the U.S. This article has explained the brief procedure. In the end, if you are trying to get your spouse a green card, you should consult an immigration attorney who will help you throughout the process.